Monday, September 30, 2013

Life is good. September 30th

Good news. My daughter is doing well and will be released from the hospital tomorrow. She'll be in pain and it will take a month or two for her to recover, but I still have a daughter. And I this close call has changed us all.

Today was also the first time I've had a chance to get together with Supe and take a look at where we are. Remembering what life was like before last week, remembering what I used to think was important, was a nice trip down memory lane. But don't get me wrong. I'm still all about getting my butt in the chair and getting the writing done. That will never change. But I'm a lot more interested in the messages I'm embedding in my writing. I think I can be much more clear with my themes. I think my end products might be a little more meaningful.

Who knows if it will last? We all change a little after we lose someone, or come close to losing someone from our lives. But how easy it is to forget the wake up calls and fall back into our same old mind-sets.

What I'm interested to see is what changes I might see in my daughter. She's only 24. A little young for a wake up call. A little young for a second chance.

I think this is a great lesson in how to make one's characters change. See if you've given them a slight nudge or a life changing wake up call. We've got to do our part, right? We can't just expect these people to change their attitudes without proper motivation.

As for word count, I'm just hoping to get a peek at my manuscript tomorrow. It's The Rock's birthday and we'll be bringing my daughter home, to our home, to stay here until she can take stairs again. On top of all that, I'll be watching the three Mousketeers. But I have to learn how to make room in my busy day for my own work.

I showed Supe some lovely wood sheds tonight. I'm thinking of putting one in my backyard and calling it my office. After all, the house is about to be invaded on two fronts and a baby crib is going up in the room I now call my office. I'm a little desperate for private space and if there were a couch long enough for The Rock, I'd consider kicking him out of the bedroom to make Custard's last stand in there. But alas, no couch was ever made to fit that man. So I'm stuck.

Other than space and time, everything is in my favor. But for writers, isn't it always that way?

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear Lyndsi is doing better and gets to come home, even though it sounds like there's still a rough patch ahead. I agree that there are "defining moments" and/or experiences in our lives that change us forever. There's no going back to before we had that experience, insight, epiphany or whatever. Our lives, our heads and hearts, are forever changed. Despite the bumps in the road still ahead for all of you, I'm so grateful for this happy ending. My best to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear she's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We are blessed well beyond what we deserve.

      Delete