Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Back in the Saddle October 15, 2013`

I'm back. And it just so happens that "back" is the word of the day.

I'm back from the retreat. The Kiss It and Send It Ceremony was a good exercise in silliness, as always. I've handed off the ceremonial God of the Cave to someone else so the tradition can continue without me. I am not sure if I will be participating in the romance association much longer and I wanted to leave it in good hands just in case.

I came back to find that my daughter has recovered enough to move back home. She's able to walk without a walker and even take stairs if there is a railing. I'll still have her and the three wee ones in my care during the day, but she has made incredible progress whilst I was gone. We are all breathing a bit easier. The danger, we believe, has passed.

I'm back to a weight I haven't seen for three years! Not only did I not gain anything back while dining out in Park City, I've lost another pound since returning on Sunday. Down six. Thirteen total since the first of August. I'm pretty excited. Sugar is still foreign food to me. Temptation only comes when I am stressed or not paying attention. So I pay attention, and when I'm stressed, my new policy is that I will not look for food until the stress has passed. So far, that has saved my bacon.

No. Not only did I not get a word, let alone a page, edited during the conference, I only opened my computer once to make sure I wasn't missing any emergency at home. I'd left my phone in the car, in the parking garage, and I felt like I needed to leave it there. If anything important happened, my family could have called the hotel, or the cell of a friend. Once I got up there, I just felt like the best therapy would be to unplug for the weekend. So I did.

There were a couple of great presentations, but for the most part it was a weekend to gather and reconnect with other writers, to be able to look around a large room and see an army of my fellows who are always out there, feeling what I'm feeling, fighting what I fight--people who have my back.

And for the most important "back" of the day, I'm back in the writer's saddle. Real life held me back for a while, but I have to return to production mode. And while I am looking for an office space yet again--my youngest and his wife will be moving in by the end of this month--I'm still going to have to work the work into the cracks of my day.

I guess I say that all the time, don't I?
But at least I'm still trying to claw my way up this muddy hill. I haven't given up.

Don't you give up either.

3 comments:

  1. Okay. You can't just drop statements like "I'm not sure I'll be participating in the romance association much longer" and leave it at that! Yes. I'm being very rude and nosey, but...but...what gives? That's like pulling the pin on a hand grenade and saying, "let's wait and see if it blows up." You have me worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny. I'm not going anywhere, but I might take a step back from chapter meetings. I spend so much time writing--supposedly--that it almost seems unfair to The Rock to leave him for a good part of a Saturday for more writing-related things. And you have to remember, I've been going away on writers retreats and locking myself in hotel rooms this year to get the books done, so I'm feeling a little guilty. It may pass, but I can't be sure, so I made sure the ceremony responsibility was covered.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear you're not defecting to another tribe. LOL I do get the "don't tell me you're leaving again", scenario. A writer's life is a tough tightrope to balance on while trying to perfect one's juggling skills. If you hear of - or have - any great advice beyond "don't look down", please share. :)

    ReplyDelete