Thursday, October 3, 2013

Best Excuse Ever--October 3, 2013

Besides the now-usual slog of distractions I was going to side-step today, in order to get my five hours of editing done, I did something that completely took over my focus and made working impossible.

I purchased airline tickets for myself and The Rock to fly to Scotland. In April. For THREE WEEKS.

I'd been planning this trip for a while now. We had hoped to go last April, but The Rock was grounded by a major project at work and we had one last child getting married. So we postponed. It seemed poetic to go for my big birthday, which means we'll be there for the anniversary of the Battle of Culloden Moor. (I can hear some of you yawning.)

The great surprise that accompanied this airline reservation was an unbelievable end to my appetite. It's like I fell madly in love in the space of time it took to log on, find the flights we wanted, and book the tickets. I have no need for chocolate, suddenly. I'm about as eager to swallow sugar as I am to munch on dog food. And when I think about walking a mile, I can't imagine walking it at all. I want to run. I want to hurry and work off all this fat--and not because I'm worried about fitting in my assigned seat (which is what I suspected my procrastination was coming from)--because I simply feel like I don't need it anymore.

Isn't that CRAZY? I don't need this fat anymore. Those are the exact words that come to mind. And I ask myself what in the hell I thought I needed this fat for in the first place? And just when did I ever take a bite with the intention of gaining weight?

Obviously, the answer is NEVER.

But I do remember one day during my senior year in high school when I realized I didn't need to chew my fingernails anymore. And I didn't. Ever. Except in hangnail emergencies, like everyone else.

So I hope this works out to be the same. I hope I find it just as difficult to force myself to eat (for nutrition) tomorrow as it was today. In fact, I'm sitting here next to a giant bag of Halloween chocolate, my stomach is growling at me to reach in, and I just don't feel like it.

In five days, I could have a helluva lot of sugar out of my system!

So I ask you.
What would it take for you to not need junk food in your life?
For me, I may have traded one addiction for another. I may be addicted to Scotland, and I'm finally going to get my fix.
You see why The Rock is coming along? To drag me home again?

Tomorrow, I shall edit, or I am not a writer. Oy.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to have SUCH a wonderful time! The first time we went, it was for three weeks. Frank decided that if we were spending that much $, we were staying long enough to get our money's worth! :-) Believe it or not, we were ready to return by then. Looking forward to seeing all the places you plan to visit!!

    ReplyDelete