Saturday, August 17, 2013

August 16, Friday. Half Month Celebration

So.
First of all, I only wrote 1027 today.

BUT THEN, Dr. Supe and I decided to go to lunch and celebrate what we've accomplished this month thus far.

I'm at 41,000! The goal for the month was 80,000, so since I'm half way there, (and Dr. Supe is not far behind) I decided to take the rest of the day off with pay, baby.

The funnest part was realizing that 50,000 more, for the second half of the month, is not only doable, it's probable. So we made a list of the stories we're going to spend that 50k on. It was almost as fun as spending money!

Try it. Just for fun. Figure your probable word count (and don't be a pansy about it--a goal you'll have to put some effort into) and decide which book/books you're going to spend it on.

It was such a rush, we did it for September too.

Then for October.

Then we took a deep breath and figured out where editing was going to fit in. (Buzz killer, that editing thing)
And we realized THAT TOO WAS DOABLE.

On an absolute high, we headed to our cars. But before we got far, we started thinking about what kind of a paycheck boost we were liable to see after doubling our products and very possible tripling our products by the end of the year.

Hah! Who gets to do that? Who gets to look at their paycheck and say, you know, I can probably triple this in the next 4 1/2 months if I really got busy.

We do. Writers do. All we have to do is sit down, put our fingers on the keyboards, and do it.

My weekend is going to be spent editing the book I just finished. Then on Monday, I'm back to living the dream, baby.

There was just one thing we forgot to plan at our rah rah meeting. Real life. And I don't mean the emergency stuff. You can't plan that. But if we're not careful, we'll be spending 4 hours editing, 4 hours writing, and the rest of our day staring at the computer screen gearing up to do those 8 hours of work.

So. If we have 16 hour days, and 8 are working, we need to PLAN those other 8 hours to be human time. My days are going to consist of 8 hours sleeping, 8 hours working, and 8 hours playing the human. And I'm going to put as much effort into the human hours as I do into the rest. There's no Dr. Wicked to help me. I'll be on my own, and I'll be a little rusty for a while, but if we can't enjoy those 8 hours, then the 8 working hours mean nothing.

So here's to working our 8 hours and stepping away. Here's to being human and enjoying it.

2 comments:

  1. VERY inspiring! HUGE congrats to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something in the air this month--perhaps a lack of killer heat, I don't know--I hope you are throwing caution to the wind and writing!

      Delete