Tuesday, August 6, 2013

August 6, 2013

UPDATE: 2618 words.
Writing at night is starting to wear on me. Sleeping until 11 am makes me feel like a slug some days. Even when its justified. I guess guilt is a talent I will never shed. Hopefully I'll be meeting or having a phone call with a writer friend who helps me get my head on straight.

Original report:
Today my son and I had appointments. Once we were both home, the house filled with family. I held my new granddaughter and finally got some eye contact. She is brilliant, of course. I tried from none o'clock on to get into my chair and get my project open.  It didn't happen until midnight.

Another writing project came up today. I'll be squeezing in another 5,ooo words this month, somewhere.

At 11:30 I realized all I'd eaten today was a bowl of cereal and two ears of corn, so I headed off to Mav to stock up on calories to help me write through until 4 am.

What I would really like to do is to sit down in a comfy chair, put my feet up, and write the rest of this novel in one sitting. I like the way the work flows when I can do that. But right now, I have to be able to help my daughter with the baby and her 3 year old twins, at least for the next week, until she's back to her old self. If that weren't the case, I'd try a three day hotel stay to get it done.

But I'll just have to settle for night-writing for the time being. I took a Dean Wesley Smith nap around five pm, so I still have a lot of life left in me. I listened to classical music on the way to Mav and back, to help get me in the mood for late 15th century Venice. It kinda worked, but now I want to do research on the birth of the cello, to see if my hero might have one. But research is DEATH at this point. I have to be able to get the basic first draft of this puppy out with only the research I've already done--and that was quite a bit, actually.

So. I'm taking my Alphasmart to the living room. Going to kick back on the new comfy couch, put my feet up next to a Pepsi and some chocolate, and see how much I can get done tonight. Not planning to stop until 4 am. We'll see how it goes...

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You amaze me. I love the quiet of writing at night - I think the ideas flow better through the "cosmos' when the universal chatter is quiet(er)- but I'm so hammered by nightfall anymore my brain just shuts down and I can't focus as well. So if you have any tips on pushing past the barriers, staying alert and ENGAGED, I'm all ears! Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best advice for writing at night is taking a short nap in the evening. Seriously. I feel like I have a new day left with nothing to do but write.

    ReplyDelete