Sunday, August 4, 2013

August 3, 2013

I decided take the day off from writing and practice being a human being for the day. For the most part, it worked. I got no new words written--on the keyboard. However, I did get some epiphanies recorded on my wall of whiteboard.

As happens when I shower, my mind goes into overdrive, but thankfully no new stories dropped into my brain without an invitation. That happens far too often and I have to be careful, when stepping into the shower, to either think about real life issues or keep my current wip in mind. This time, I was thinking about my characters and how I needed to know them better. And as creepy as this sounds, it is the most accurate way to describe it: I was no longer alone in the shower.

My hero (or aniti-hero, actually) is not who I thought he was. Thankfully, I won't have to lose any of the words I've already written, but I will have to go back and add the other things I now know. A hero at heart. I'm so relieved. I was starting to worry about him. And the things he's seen make my stomach clench. Needless to say, it will be an emotional ride this week.

My heroine is a lot more interesting as well. I've known her for years now, but this is the first time we've spent time together. I can't say much, in deference to some of my readers who may be reading this. But Isobelle's a 'comin', and Hell's coming with her.

Writing plans for Sunday are up in the air. I was considering taking all weekends off, since I'll be cranking out 20k a week with just five days, but I have to say my brain is already grooving to the writing vibe and NOT writing on Saturday took real EFFORT. How cool is that? So I expect I'll sit down and get a couple thousand words at least, after the Rock and Rock Jr. go to bed.  I may  even do 4k just to keep my habit building. I guess we'll see.

If you want a little courage for what you are writing, if you think you might be making some kind of mistake, read this brief post from Seth Godin, go forth, and conquer.

2 comments:

  1. I've experienced that crowd in the shower! I've heard it has something to do with flowing water and flowing ideas. I don't really care why it works, but it does. It introduced me to a couple of great characters and it's great for untangling some sticky plot "knots". Now we just need to learn to write underwater. I wonder how much faster the ideas would flow???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish there was an affordable keyboard and monitor for the shower. I'd be damned clean, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete