Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday, August 23, Dragons and such

After much research, including feedback from authors who use it, I have decided to buy the Dragon Naturally Speaking software. I'll get it tomorrow. (Today didn't go as planned.)

One man I spoke with estimated that it may take a month for me to get a handle on it, since I haven't used any kind of dictation before. A one-month-long learning curve is worth it to me only because I need to lose weight as desperately as I need to get these stories told. So. I'm doing it.

I did not, in fact, get up early to write with Dr. Supe. It sounds like she had a very productive day without my help, thank goodness. I hope you did well. I would hate to think my failure might encourage any slacking on your part. But then, I realize it might well do just that.

Do any of you follow Dean Wesley Smith's blog? 
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com
I read it nearly every day. He's the one who inspired me to start this blog. He's doing a project called Writing in Public. Go read up on it. When I let you down, he won't. Between the two of us, you should be covered.

I take less than modest pleasure in the fact my monthly word count is kicking his arse right now. I'm sure he'll grind me into the floor by the 31st, but I'm not out of the race yet. I've got another week to get some big word counts on the table. And between typing and messing around with the dragon, I may just beat the man. His goal is 100k a month, and he usually hits his mark, even if he's 70k behind. What will surprise me most is if he DOES NOT meet his goal.

Here's my problem now.
I have two full manuscripts that need editing so I can send them off. At least one of them needs to be out of my hands by the end of the month. So why would I keep writing, cranking out another book to add to my to-be-edited pile?

Because writers write. If all I do is edit, I'm an editor. I need that habit of putting words to paper, or words to a digital recorder. (This brings to mind the scene in Roxanne, when the Christian character flubs up and says, "Because I'm afraid of worms, Roxanne." He was supposed to have said words. 

Well, I guess I'm afraid of words too. But I'm more afraid of you people, reading this. So I will endeavor to persevere. Big brownie points to go anyone who can tell me in which movie we see an old Indian saying those three words.

I spent my day finding and booking a cabin for Labor Day Weekend for the family reunion. Not easy at this late notice. Tomorrow, I hope to remember that I can be a writer again. And tomorrow, I'll give you a taste of my evolving theory about productivity and moon phases. How have YOU been performing since the new moon two days ago? Hmm? Be honest. And leave it in the comments.

L

3 comments:

  1. Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josey Wales. Great actor. Great line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. You are goooood. Big brownie points. Come by sometime and redeem them for real brownies!!!

      Delete